Resolutions for Life
Resolutions for Life
For many people the first of each new year is a time to reflect on the year just ended and to make impossible goals for the new year just ahead. I realized a long time ago that I never made it to January 31 before I’d dropped, broken or changed my goals. I’d started with such lofty ideas, goals, dreams and felt certain that God would bless my efforts. Then I’d be surprised each year when I became a failure before I had hardly started.
I decided to make some changes in my first of the year choices and, while it took me a couple of tries, I finally came to resolutions that work for every day of my life. I hope that you will find them useful for you as well.
Resolution 1: KNOW Jesus
I do this by spending time with Him
- How am I connecting with God in worship both personally and corporately?
It’s so important as leaders that we have a personal and corporate time of worship that is not related to what we do for others. It’s my time with my Heavenly Father.
- Hebrews 10:25 – And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do but encourage one anther especially now that the day of his return is drawing near.
- What is the Holy Spirit teaching me through Scripture?
I should be reading God’s Word for what it can teach me about how to do life not just for what I can teach others.
- John 14:26 – But when the Father sends the Advocate as my representative – that is, the Holy Spirit – He will teach you everything and will remind you of everything I have told you.
- Am I in an ongoing two-way conversation with God?
Prayer is two way – I listen, and God talks; God talks, and I listen. Any other way is unfruitful.
- I Thessalonians 1:2 – We always thank God for all of you and pray for you constantly.
Resolution # 2: IMITATE Jesus
I do this by letting Him renovate my character
- Am I regularly confessing my sin and asking God to change me?
If you are like me, I find that I sin daily. I wonder how I can manage it daily but it’s true. I need to regularly confess and seek God’s forgiveness and direction to live differently.
- Romans 12:2 – Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will be able to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.
- How have I given and received encouragement in my small group recently?
Truett Cathy is quoted as having said, “Who needs encouragement? Everyone who is breathing! We all need it. We need to encourage each other, not just a one-way experience. As a leader, you can model it and also encourage it in those who follow you.
- I Thessalonians 5:14 - Brothers and sisters, we urge you to warn those who are lazy. Encourage those who are timid. Take tender care of those who are weak. Be patient with everyone.
- How is the fruit of the Spirit becoming more visible in my life where I live, work and play?
It’s often easier to see the fruit of the spirit visible where I work and play but not always where I live. It seems that for those who are loved the most and closest to our heart, we forget to express love, joy, peace, patience, etc. abundantly.
- Galatians 5:22-23 – But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. There is no law against these things.
Resolution # 3: SHARE Jesus
I do this by loving others the way He loves me
- Who am I investing in relationally who is different from me or doesn’t know Jesus?
Matthew 28 calls us to not just go but while we are going to make disciples. Where do you go regularly that you can invest in? I developed a ministry at Starbucks that bears fruit and has allowed me to make disciples.
- Matthew 28:19-20 – Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this – I am with you always even to the end of the age.
- Have I recently shared with someone what God has done and is doing in my life?
Look at the ways in which God has blessed you and your life, today, yesterday, last week, etc. and express that to others. It opens great doors for sharing the Good News.
- Colossians 1:28 – So we tell others about Christ, warning everyone and teaching everyone with all the wisdom God has given us. We want to present them to God, perfect in their relationship to Christ.
- In what ways am I living a life of generosity and service?
When you consider all that God has done for you, living a life of generosity and service seems like an appropriate response to His goodness. Generosity is about not just your resources but about your time, your talent and your service. Give it away, the God of the universe will bless you more than you can imagine!
- 2 Corinthians 9:13 – As a result of your ministry they will give glory to God. For your generosity to them and to all believers will prove that you are obedient to the Good News of Christ.
Your Gift Makes This Work Possible
Are you finding value in the Lead Like Jesus devotionals, blogs and podcasts? If your answer is yes, would you consider a financial gift to help us continue to produce this valuable content? Your donation of $10, $15 or $20 will make a difference! Thank you!